December 31, 2021 12:23pm
Kentucky House unveils proposed redistricting maps
Yesterday, the Kentucky House Majority Caucus unveiled its proposed legislative redistricting maps based on 2020 Census Data.
In addition to other changes, the proposed House map will require that four sets of incumbents run against each other to represent their districts in the House of Representatives. The incumbents who will be running against each other are:
- Republican Reps. Norma Kirk-McCormick and Bobby McCool, who represent House districts 93 and 97 in Eastern Kentucky;
- Republican Reps. Lynn Bechler and Jim Gooch Jr., who represent House districts 4 and 12 in Western Kentucky;
- Democratic Reps. Mary Lou Marzian and Josie Raymond, who represent House districts 34 and 31 in Jefferson County;
- Democratic Reps. McKenzie Cantrell and Lisa Willner, who represent House districts 38 and 35 in Jefferson County.
- Speaker Osborne noted the Legislature plans to pass the new legislative maps next week, beginning the process on Tuesday and then sending the final bill to the Governor on Saturday.
The Speaker also said there will be a bill filed to move the 2022 Candidate Filing Deadline to January 25, instead of its current deadline on January 7. This will allow time for candidates to review and file in the new, correct districts.
According to Speaker Osborne, the Senate Majority will release their maps, along with the congressional maps, on Tuesday – the first day of the 2022 Legislative Session.
See the below links for proposed maps: