GLI’s Business Competitiveness Committee focuses on a wide range of different issues, including employment and labor law, tax reform, workers’ compensation, unemployment insurance, pension reform, and economic development, just to name a few. The Committee lays the groundwork for one of GLI’s most important advocacy goals: making Greater Louisville as attractive as possible to current and future employers. This is key to job growth, increasing wages, and improving the quality of life for all Greater Louisville residents.
In an increasingly global economy, companies can make their “home” anywhere. To ensure Kentucky is a top choice for business, our regulations and policies should be fair and competitive and support—not impede—economic development. GLI’s business competitiveness positions support legislative initiatives that foster innovation, entrepreneurship and commercialization, allowing Kentucky to recruit, retain and expand business investment and jobs, particularly in its priority sectors of economic development strength – Advanced Manufacturing, Lifelong Wellness & Aging Care, Logistics & Distribution; and Food & Beverage Innovation.
The Business Competitiveness Committee meets twice per year—once in the Fall and once in the Spring—and also receives specialized emails and calls-to-action on issues related to the Committee’s interests. To learn more about joining the Committee, send us a quick email. All GLI investors are eligible to serve on one or more of GLI’s six Issue Advisory Committees.
Business Competitiveness Priorities
- Fund & Maintain Kentucky’s Economic Development Incentive Programs
- Support Small Business Development Centers
- Outline Definitions & Guidelines for Independent Contractors
- Modernize Kentucky Labor & Employment Laws
- Reform Kentucky’s Unemployment Insurance System
- Ensure Drug-Free Workplaces
- Allow Better Revenue Options for City & County Governments
- Continue Making Kentucky’s Tax Code More Business Friendly
- Fully Fund Pensions and enact Comprehensive Pension Reform
- Expand Gaming & Authorize Sports Betting
- Protect Kentucky’s Tourism Economy
- Make the Barrel Tax Fully Refundable
- Oppose the Sale of Wine in Grocery Stores
- Maintain Current Tax Treatment for Historical Horse Racing Machines
- Incentivize Investment in Depressed & Historic Areas
- Fund Culture & Arts Programs
To read more about GLI’s 2019-2020 Federal priorities, click here.
- Small Business Development Centers
- Banking Regulations
- Data Security and Privacy
- Fair Labor Proposals
- Tax Reform
- International Trade
- Net Neutrality
- Arts Funding
- Investment in Low-Income, Underdeveloped Areas
- Multiemployer Pension Plan Reform
- A Commonsense Approach to Joint Employer
- Keep the Government Open