August 1, 2022 5:07pm
Eastern Kentucky Disaster Relief
Last week, our neighbors in Eastern Kentucky were struck by devastating and deadly flooding. We’ve lost 30 Kentuckians and sadly the death toll continues to rise with hundreds still unaccounted. Hundreds of families have lost their homes, belongings, and loved ones to this heartbreaking natural disaster. With more rain in the forecast in the coming week and rebuilding efforts stalled until water levels recede, this crisis will take weeks and months to resolve.
Right now, Eastern Kentucky needs our help. There are a number of terrific organizations accepting monetary and supply donations that will go directly to those impacted. Below is an initial list of local, state and national organizations accepting contributions.
If you or your business are organizing a local supply drive, we want to help get the word out. Please contact Olivia Sievert with information on timing, location, and supplies needed. We will keep you apprised of other ways to assist as they become available.
Louisville Metro & SOS International
- Drop off supplies at SOS trucks in front of Metro Hall at 527 W. Jefferson Street between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Items needed: Soap, body wash, bath wipes, facial tissues, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, hairbrushes, combs, disposable razors, shaving cream, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, first aid supplies, fans, dehumidifiers and hand sanitizer
- Donations will go to Whitesburg Medical Clinic
KFC Yum! Center – Fill the Truck
- Drop off supplies at KFC Yum! Center, Pepsi Plaza – 1 Arena Plaza
- Items needed: blankets, towels, cleaning supplies, mops/brooms, buckets, shovels
- Thursday, August 11th, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. ONLY! Donations will go to Letcher County Central High School and offered directly to residents
606 Children’s Relief Drive – Revolutionary Events
- Drop off supplies at 414 Baxter Avenue, Suite 100A
- Items needed: Bottled water, nonperishable food, feminine hygiene products, formula, backpacks, diaper bags, children’s hygiene products, books, small toys/stuffed animals
- Donations will go to children in Perry County in coordination with the local school board
- Drop off gift cards at JCTA office at 1941 Bishop Lane #300
- Items needed: gift cards to places like Walmart, Lowes, Visa, and Mastercard
- Team Eastern Kentucky Flood Relief Fund– organized by state government
- Flood Relief in Eastern Kentucky – Volunteers of America Mid States
- Salvation Army – funds go to providing meals and essential supplies to those impacted
- SOS International – funds go to providing essential medical and hygiene supplies to impacted areas
- WaterStep – funding goes to mobile water treatment systems
- Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels – donations go to local nonprofits helping with relief efforts
- Appalachian Crisis Aid Fund – Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky
- American Red Cross
- Kentucky Sports Radio and Kentucky Chamber Relief Fund
- Kentucky Flood Relief – All Hands and Hearts
- Kentucky Humane Society – supporting local impacted animal shelters including Floyd County Animal Shelter and Kentucky River Regional Animal Shelter