May 1, 2023 10:40am
Mayor Greenberg proposes $1.1 billion budget for Metro Louisville
Last week, Mayor Craig Greenberg presented his first proposed budget for the 2023-2024 fiscal year to the Louisville Metro Council. With $1.1 billion in operating and capital spending, this proposal represents the largest budget for the city in history with investments focusing on public safety, infrastructure, and transparency.
With a string of tragic shootings in April, continued violent crime, and the Department of Justice’s report on Louisville Metro Police released earlier this year, Mayor Greenberg’s proposal includes an increase in LMPD’s budget and other key investments to improve public safety. $230,000 is slated to create a new department for group violence intervention, which GLI has advocated for since its implementation, and $500,000 is proposed to expand the 911 mental health deflection program. Additional funding is also included for enhanced LMPD recruitment and clinical care and re-entry assistance for individuals leaving Metro Corrections.
Other notable investments include:
- $2.1 million to add new positions and implement reforms at LMPD
- $20.4 million for affordable housing
- $20 million for continued downtown revitalization
- $2 million for Goodwill’s Opportunity Campus and $1.5 million for an additional SPOT location
- $1.75 million for improvements in the LouMed Campus, a hub of health and education services in downtown Louisville
- $540,000 for new positions at Public Works to complete nearly $150 million of federal funding for construction and improvement projects
- $26 million for paving and repairing streets
- $400,000 for a partnership with GLI focusing on talent attraction, regional economic development, and branding
Louisville Metro Council will begin its review of the budget with Budget & Appropriations Committee hearings from various Metro Departments throughout May and June. View the hearing schedule here.
The Metro Council will vote to adopt the upcoming fiscal year budget on June 22nd during its regularly scheduled meeting.