Education & Workforce Development
GLI’s Education and Workforce Development Committee focuses on a range of issues related to our regional labor force. One of GLI’s top strategic goals is to make Greater Louisville home to the most competitive workforce on the globe. This means developing a world-class education system and workforce training programs to cultivate a homegrown workforce as well as pursuing innovative policies aimed at attracting and retaining top talent.
Some of GLI’s key education and workforce wins in 2017 and 2018 include passage of legislation authorizing charter schools in Kentucky, essentials skills training, increased SEEK per-pupil funding, and legislation permitting local school districts to offer increased compensation to teachers working in underperforming schools. Read more about legislative wins in 2017 and 2018.
The Education and Workforce Development Committee generally meets twice per year—once in the Fall and once in the Spring—and also receives specialized email and calls-to-action on issues related to the Committee’s interests. To learn more about joining the Committee, send us a quick email. All GLI investors are eligible to serve on one or more of GLI’s six Issue Advisory Committees.
2018 Education and Workforce Development Priorities
- Early Childhood Education
- Educator Effectiveness
- Choice in Schools
- STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math
- Funding for Higher Education
- Maintain Funding for K-12 Education
- University Research & Libraries
- A Diverse & Competitive Workforce
- Workforce Training & Preparation
- Essential Skills & Work Ethic Certificates
- Addiction Recovery Resources
- Workforce Opportunities through Justice Reforms
To read more about GLI’s 2018 Federal priorities, click here.
- Focus Funding for STEAM
- Funding for Early Childhood Education
- Increase Recruitment Visa Programs to Attract Highly-Education Workers
- Pass DACA Legislation and Build a Globally-Competitive Workforce
- Funding for Workforce Education
- Funding for Postsecondary Education
- Gainful Employment Rule
- Funding for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act