Education & Workforce Development
GLI’s Education and Workforce Development Committee focuses on a range of issues related to our regional labor force. One of GLI’s top strategic goals is to make Greater Louisville home to the most competitive workforce on the globe. This means developing a world-class education system and workforce training programs to cultivate a homegrown workforce as well as pursuing innovative policies aimed at attracting and retaining top talent.
Some of GLI’s key education and workforce wins in 2017 and 2018 include passage of legislation authorizing charter schools in Kentucky, essentials skills training, increased SEEK per-pupil funding, and legislation permitting local school districts to offer increased compensation to teachers working in underperforming schools. Read more about legislative wins in 2017 and 2018.
The Education and Workforce Development Committee generally meets twice per year—once in the Fall and once in the Spring—and also receives specialized email and calls-to-action on issues related to the Committee’s interests. To learn more about joining the Committee, send us a quick email. All GLI investors are eligible to serve on one or more of GLI’s six Issue Advisory Committees.
2018 & 2019 Education and Workforce Development Priorities
- Early Childhood Education and Childcare
- K-12 Education
- School Choice
- A More Dynamic Compensation System for our Educators
- Streamline and Strengthen School District Governance
- STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math
- Funding for Higher Education
- Maintain Funding for K-12 Education
- University Research & Libraries
- A Diverse & Competitive Workforce
- Workforce Training & Preparation
- Attract & Retain High-Skill Workers
- Workforce Housing Tax Credit
- Resources and Treatment for Substance Use Disorders
- Workforce Opportunities through Justice Reforms
To read more about GLI’s 2019-2020 Federal priorities, click here.
- STEAM Education and Workforce Programs
- Early Childhood and Development
- Comprehensive Immigration Reform
- Funding for Workforce Education
- Postsecondary Education
- Financial Aid and Student Debt
- The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
- Supported Employment Initiatives
- Criminal Justice Reform