April 10, 2019 9:15am
Hire a SummerWorks Intern Today
Your company can accomplish more this summer, while also benefitting the youth of Greater Louisville and helping to strengthen the business community by hiring a SummerWorks intern through the mayor’s SummerWorks program.
Hosting a summer intern is easy. Interns range from age 16-21 and are pursuing careers in all pathways offered through the JCPS Academies, including Administrative Support, Marketing, IT and Manufacturing, among others. These students have engaged in coursework that relates to their pathway of interest and are ready to showcase their skills and gain valuable work experience. This program is an investment in preparing young people for careers and inspiring them to stay and work in Greater Louisville.
Summerworks also provides employers with an opportunity to try out talent before making a full time offer.
- Most SummerWorks jobs last 7 weeks, however, many interns are willing to continue working beyond the official program period
- SummerWorks interns range from 16-21 years old
- Employers are asked to pay interns (at least) minimum wage, which equals approximately $2,500 for the duration of the program at the minimum hour requirement
- Employers are asked to offer interns no less than 15 hours a week and no more than 30 hours a week of work
- Employers are asked to include interns in company meetings, give them real responsibilities, and offer them coaching along the way
GLI invites you to think about your summer workforce needs and consider hiring a young person today.
Contact GLI’s Manager of Education and Workforce Strategies to learn more: Jessie Schook, firstname.lastname@example.org, 502.625.0048