March 22, 2020 6:19pm
New Kentucky Procedures for Unemployment Filings
Last week, the Kentucky Cabinet for Education and Workforce Development announced new procedures for filing for unemployment claims. The changes are intended to help the cabinet accommodate the influx of new claims.
Kentuckians filing for UI benefits should follow a schedule that pertains to the first initial in their last name as to what day they can file their claim. The schedule can be found here and is copied below for the week of March 23, 2020.
Kentucky Career Centers (KCC) across the state have been closed to the public to prevent the spread of COVID-19 but KCC workers are still providing services by telephone and videoconference.
Below is the location and phone number individuals can call for KCC services including UI questions. Officials are encouraging individuals to use the phone number for the location nearest to them so that no location is overwhelmed by customers.
- Louisville area: 502-595-4003
- Elizabethtown area: 270-766-5115
Claimants can also call the UI Help Line at 502-564-2900, if they have questions.
In addition to these new ways to communicate with KCC staff, other KCC programs are continuing to assist customers through the following services.
- Re-employment Services and Eligibility Assessment (RESEA) helps laid-off people get back to work faster.
- Trade assistance helps workers who have lost their job as a result of increased imports out of the United States.
- Employment services assists job seekers with items such as resume writing, job search and training opportunities.
- Veteran services helps those who have served in the armed forces with finding a job or training opportunities.
- Business services such as rapid response, recruitment and work-based training assists employers.
On March 16, Governor Andy Beshear directed the Cabinet to waive the state’s seven-day waiting period to receive UI benefits and the work-search requirement for UI benefits during the state of emergency. Read more about these changes here.
As a result, the following policies and procedures have been activated.
- Individual is laid off and files initial claim application to request UI benefits.
- After claimant files and requests payment, UI staff conducts eligibility review and processes benefit request concurrently.
- If approved, initial payment is authorized for 14 days of benefits.
- Claimant may request benefits every two weeks. This process may continue for a maximum of 26 total weeks or until the claimant obtains employment or returns to work.
- The weekly benefit amount is based on the worker’s past wages.