September 25, 2019 5:02pm
GLI’s Fall 2019 Issue Committee Meetings Connect Business Leaders with Key Policymakers
GLI’s Fall 2019 Issue Committee meetings wrapped up this week, concluding a series of productive conversations between more than 160 business leaders and several key policymakers from Kentucky and Indiana.
Every Fall, GLI convenes its six Issue Committees to meet with elected officials and policymakers and to begin the process of setting the priorities of the Greater Louisville business community for the coming year’s legislative sessions in Frankfort and Indianapolis. This year, committee members discussed a range of key policy issues with elected and non-elected government officials.
- Representative Kim Moser, Chair of the Health and Family Services Committee
- Representative Jason Nemes, Chair of the Budget Review Subcommittee on Justice, Public Safety, and Judiciary (and a GLI 2019 Most Valuable Policymaker)
- Deputy Secretary Bruce Scott, Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet
- Deputy Commissioner Sean Alteri, Kentucky Department of Environmental Protection
- Representative James Tipton, Chair of the Budget Review Subcommittee on Post-Secondary Education (and a GLI 2019 Most Valuable Policymaker)
- Commissioner Wayne Lewis, Kentucky Department of Education
- Representative Sal Santoro, Chair of the Budget Review Subcommittee on Transportation
- Representative Ed Clere (a GLI 2019 Most Valuable Policymaker)
- Representative Karen Engleman
- Representative Rita Fleming
- Senator Chris Garten
GLI’s Fall 2019 Committee meetings also kicked off the beginning of a member-driven process by which the Greater Louisville business community sets its priorities for the next year’s legislative sessions. Each committee is responsible for crafting its section of GLI’s legislative agenda. The Health Care Committee, for example, drafts GLI’s health care priorities. The next step in the process is a review by GLI’s Public Policy Committee, followed by final approval from GLI’s Board of Directors.
GLI’s Issue Committee meetings are great opportunities to network, engage in the public policy process, and learn about key issues. Most importantly, GLI’s committees give participants the opportunity to shape public policy and ensure the voice of the Greater Louisville business community is heard loud and clear in Frankfort and Indianapolis.
All GLI investors are eligible to serve on an Issue Committee. Make sure your business is represented!
Email GLI Public Policy Manager Charles Aull to learn more and to join a committee. Spring committee meetings will take place in April and May and will focus on GLI’s 2020-2021 federal priorities.