February 14, 2019 6:34pm
GLI testifies in Frankfort in support of small businesses
GLI CEO & President Kent Oyler made the case for small business priorities at a meeting of the House Small Business & Information Technology Committee on Thursday in Frankfort. Highlighting a range of GLI-backed initiatives, such as workers’ compensation reform, lowering personal and corporate income tax rates, and fighting for the Angel Investment Tax Credit Program, Oyler noted, “Every penny counts for small business employers, and one thing that we hear consistently from our small business members is that legislation like this matters. It helps create an environment where small businesses can grow, expand, and innovate.”
As Oyler pointed out on Thursday, small businesses make up a critical part of Greater Louisville’s economy. Within the Louisville/Jefferson County MSA:
- More than 90 percent of firms have less than 500 employees
- Close to 80 percent have 20 employees or less
- Small businesses employ more than 50 percent of our workforce and account for close to half of our region’s annual payroll
GLI testified alongside other small business advocates as part of the Kentucky Chamber’s Small Business Day in Frankfort. Throughout the day, GLI met with lawmakers to stress the importance of building off of pro-business legislation passed in previous sessions to help small businesses continue to grow.
Some of GLI’s top small business priorities for 2019 include:
- Passing legislation to authorize and regulate sports wagering in Kentucky. This could open up numerous opportunities for existing and future small businesses, all while providing an important new revenue source to help pay down pension liabilities.
- Giving employers the ability to making staffing decisions based on whether or not a current or potential employee is a smoker. One study found that a smoker costs employers $6,000 more per year than a non-smoking employee. Employers should be able to factor that into hiring and firing decisions.
- Taking bold steps to fund infrastructure.
- Keeping energy rates in Kentucky affordable and competitive.
- Continuing to improve the competitiveness of Kentucky’s tax code.
GLI is proud to support small businesses in Greater Louisville. Read more about GLI’s 2019 State Legislative Priorities.